Chill out!!

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Linux VI Editor - Error E138 with VI Editor - E138: Can't write viminfo file /root/.viminfo!

Technology - Linux / VI Editor

I saw this Error E138 while editing some file with VI Editor.

The error description is like this.
E138: Can't write viminfo file /root/.viminfo!Hit ENTER or type command to continue

This is the Solution I found:
When you get error "E138: Can't write viminfo file" check that no old temp files were left behind (e.g. ~/.viminf*) and that you can write in the directory of the .viminfo file. {not in Vi}
I have removed the .viminf*.tmp files from /root directory. There was no error or annoying message while editing in VI Editor.

4 Comments:

  • Thanks for the info, I added you to my favorites.

    If you are interested in best web site hosting I have a best web site hosting site.

    Feel free to drop by and tell me what you think.

    By Blogger Lavfresh, at 5:13 PM  

  • I love your information on software testing I bookmarked your blog and will be back soon. If you want, check out my blog on software testing exposed - please come by

    By Blogger anna, at 7:21 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Madhu, at 8:22 PM  

  • Thanx for posting this! It fixed my problem immediately.

    By Blogger CJ, at 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home